Thursday 26 June 2014

GISEC (Gulf Information Security Expo & Conference) Dubai - 2014

GISEC (Gulf Information Security Expo & Conference) Dubai - 2014

I was pleased to be selected as part of a team to demonstrate BT's capability in GISEC conference recently which was held at the Dubai World Trade Center. I contributed to the idea of having a 'Cyber Challenge' to the BT booth inspired by the exposure i have from attending to hackers conferences. I was also given an area to showcase the Ethical Hacking capability providing demonstration and presentation to passerby.

It was a very tiring and satisfying experience! Given the fact that i was able to come up with an end to end demo by myself without any critics from management gave me a sense of confidence they have on me to deliver.

First, it was the Cyber Challenge stand. This challenge is about the ability for a pentester to be able to find a XSS vulnerability and exploit it. Day 1 challenge was to inject a script inside the affected parameter and provide an alert pop up. Day 2 challenge was to 'deface' a website by embedding an image on it and Day 3 challenge was to inject a script that will come out with an output in the result section and upon clicking on it, will be redirected to another page.

Sound simple right? But during the 3 days, only 3-4 people managed to complete the challenge.

On the ethical hacking stand, my job was to perform demos on anyone who has the interest to see it. I was happy to know that some people came up to me and said that the booth managed to gather a huge number of people, mostly were curious to see the demo. I won't go into the details of my demo but all i can say is that the demo was similar to the demo i presented with a colleague at Defcon Kerala, India last year.

But one of the best and memorable moments was the fact that i got to meet many strangers in the professional world and exchanging contacts after that. Well, thats what we called 'Networking'. All in all, it was a great and superb experience and i am sure this will continue in the near future.

Below are some of the pictures taken:
















No comments:

Post a Comment